Wednesday 21 March 2012

A few flowers.

I've been busy recently, but yesterday me and Bob went to Putney to get some gardening supplies. Robert Dyas (the shop) was actually quite interesting - it sold some other stuff like candles and plates too. Annoyingly however, they had an offer on their grass seed (buy one, get one free), and it was all sold out. Apparently they get new stock tomorrow, so we'll check back soon or buy some online. We did get 60l of compost, and a rather dainty watering can, which I forgot to take a picture of but will do soon.

Exciting day gardening-wise. I got up at 8am and didn't really leave the garden until gone 4. Last night Bob and I stole 20 bricks from across the road (they're rebuilding a wall and leave bricks stacked up overnight), so I built two more borders, one on the other side of the steps and one along the wall at the end.




I also dug up a few more huge rocks, the biggest of which Rene had to help me pull out. I've gradually come to the conclusion that to save money, whoever laid the garden used a truckload of rubble, with about 6 inches of soil on top, in the worst spots. I stopped digging too deep in the end; we'd have no garden left if I tried to remove all the stone. Here's what I've pulled out so far, helpfully filling the hole the fallen fence created:


When Bob came down to help, we planted all the seeds we have that are suitable for outdoor sowing. Two flower-mix boxes (they looked like sawdust, but let's see what happens), Nasturtiums and Sweet Peas. We also re-planted a few pots I've had growing on my desk: Parsley, Coriander, Basil, and a Snapdragon. The herbs we put in the same bed, sort of creating a herb garden...


Bob said it was nice to see something green in the garden - I agree, and it'll be even better when the rest germinates in a couple of weeks! Meanwhile, I'm kinda missing the greenery here on my desk.

To finish up, we planted an assortment of the indoor sowers in 14 small pots we had lying about. Their home for now is the kitchen, until they're big enough to plant outside. Bob also took a saw to some of the annoying low-hanging branches of the Eucalyptus, and we can use them as canes for the sweet pea.

No comments:

Post a Comment