Wednesday 4 April 2012

Little green babies.

It's been a while - I've been busy with uni work, including a feature I have decided to do on London gardening (suppose could be inspired by this). Not much has happened with the garden then, but things are sprouting!

The indoor pots:

These are French Marigolds, variety: 'Glowing Embers'. We're also growing a variety called 'Jolly Jester'.


Gazania, Tiger Stripe. These will be impressive when they flower!

There's still two plants to appear - the Trailing Lobelia (Red Cascade) & the Sea Holly. I'm not too worried about the Sea Holly sprouting, as I wasn't exactly taken with its appearance on the packet...haha.

Outdoors, there are tiny green shoots everywhere. This seed is dwarfing the rest (camera stubbornly refused to focus on the actual stalk I'm talking about, but at least you can see the other seedlings):



I won't be sowing the grass seeds for the lawn until I'm back from Spain - I leave on Monday for a week there with the rowing team. Hoping to prepare all the soil before I leave, then it might get some moisture before it gets sown - we've actually had some April showers, which I was unusually happy about!

Since I last posted, I went camping for a couple of days on Lundy Island, off the coast of North Devon. This island is not only a haven for some rarely seen birds and marine life, it also flourishes with beautiful wild flowers and plants (some, like the 'Lundy cabbage', are found nowhere else in the world). I didn't visit for the plants, and wouldn't have known if I had come across any rare specimens, but I'll leave you with a few pictures of the island anyway.

 Lundy ponies

 Clumps of some strange plant growing on cliffs

 There were so many different coloured little flowers like this

 Tiny pieces of granite filling up crevices on a carpet of moss

 Gorse - smells like coconut and pineapple...amazing

 Coastline, North to South

 Saw seals in this bay

View from the 'Old Light'

---

No comments:

Post a Comment